Written by Malissa Spacek on May 13, 2013
Summer is finally here and along with it comes protecting your skin from the suns’ harmful UV rays. When you are outside playing or splashing around underneath that bright summer sun it is easy to forget to apply your necessary SPF. But applying sunscreen is the most important part of any good summer skin care routine! Unnecessary sun damage can lead to wrinkles, age spots, eye problems, and even skin cancer; not to mention an overall decrease in skins’ healthy glow and youthful appearance.
Sunscreens we recommend:
1. SkinMedica® Daily Physical Defense SPF 30+
- This oil-free forumla is light enough to be applied underneath makeup, yet strong enough to protect your skin from UVA/UVB rays and from free radicals.
2. Circadia® Light Day Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 37.5
- This lotion is designed to provide optimal UV and environmental protection. Packed with antioxidants, humectants and soothing ingredients to moisturize and prevent irritation.
But protecting your skin from the sun is more than just wearing sunscreen. Here are some other tips to save your skin this summer and keep you looking young!
- REAPPLY! Do not just put your sunscreen on once in the morning and call it good for the day. You should be reapplying every 2-3 hours.
- Wear a hat, especially during the hours of the day when the sun causes the most damage (between 10 and 2)
- Wear sunglasses, preferably ones that block 100% of UVA and UVB rays.
- Most importantly, remember that is never too late to start protecting your skin from the sun! You may not be able to reverse previous damage but you will prevent further effects from worsening.
Reversing The Damage
For many of us the harmful effects of the sun have already caused visible damage to our skins appearance. The good news is there are many options out there to reverse the damage you may have already caused from unprotected sun exposure.
We recommend starting your treatment course with a photo facial. The Alma Laser and new Harmony™ pulsed light system uses Advanced Fluorescence Technology (AFT) and represents the most advance generation of pulsed light treatments. In addition to those brown spots (caused by the sun), the Harmony AFT can treat rosacea, broken capillaries, spider veins, hair removal, brown pigmentation, age spots, inflammatory acne, and other benign skin lesions effectively, easily and without downtime.
In addition here are two of our best brightening products, that we recommend to help fade dark spots. (For best results use the products in combination with a Photo Facial.
1. SkinMedica® Lytera Skin Brightening Complex
- This daily skin brightening product that minimizes the appearance of skin discoloration and dark spots.
2. Circadia® Bright White Serum
- This lightweight milky serum helps to brighten dark spots and enhance radiance.
Don’t Forget… May is Skin Cancer Awarness Month
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States with about 1 million new cases diagnosed each year. Fortunately, most skin cancers, including melanoma, can be cured if detected early. Please contact our office (918) 872-9999 to learn more about detecting and preventing skin cancer.